I'll be your harvester of light.

Tuesday, December 20

Three small noticings:
(One.) I came across the word ineffability recently and it has entered my list of favourite words. Ineffable means: ‘cannot be expressed or described in language; too great for words; transcending expression; unspeakable, unutterable, inexpressible’ (according to the Oxford English Dictionary). I like how it speaks of mystery and how it sounds like it has feathers.
(Two.) It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Twinkle lights, Christmas trees, glass jars of cranberry sauce, songs with lines like ‘oh come let us adore Him’ and ‘silent night, holy night’ playing in unlikely places like H&M and Tesco, sparkly party dresses, the anxious wait for Amazon parcels. 
(Three.) I like this song (Winter Song by Ingrid Michaelson and Sara Bareilles). I always feel there is something a little bit sad about Christmas, although I can’t put my finger on what it is. The passing of another year, the bareness of the trees, the people who are alone... this song captures both the sadness and the loveliness of this time of year.


(pictures by Becca Stadtlander)

1 comment:

  1. Christmas is my favourite time of the year, but I completely agree - the music often makes me ponder about a lot of things, and emphasises sadness that was buried somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Do say hello and leave your name and blog address if you have one :)

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |