'Start a blog!'

Sunday, November 7

Let's ignore the last two posts. I am going to introduce this blog right here, right now. Only... how to begin, I wonder. Introductions are always tricky.


I think the first thing is to introduce myself. But what should I tell you first? My name (Melissa), age (19), and occupation (part-time waitress, full-time student)? Somehow that sounds a bit like I’m filling in an application form. It’s a bit vague, and a bit impersonal. Well then, how about what I’m studying: English literature, journalism and creative writing? That tells you a bit more. I’m at university learning how to read and write. And it’s fantastic (if a little stressful).
Maybe I should I start throwing random facts about myself at you? Things like:
 I have lots of jars in my room (with the jam, curry or pickle washed out). Inside them are crayons, buttons, pencils, pennies, and words I’ve cut out from magazines.
 Most of my liquid intake comes from drinking (earl grey) tea.
 I find it difficult to climb stairs one-at-a-time. This comes in handy when I need to be somewhere fast. It becomes more of a problem when I’m wearing a skirt.
 from the ages of six to seventeen I was taught at home (with my brother and sister; by my mum). I loved it. But most people don’t quite understand what ‘home-schooling’ means. I don’t quite know how to describe it, only: it doesn’t mean doing schoolwork in your pyjamas.
Does that help at all? Or should I tell you some of the labels that are attached to me? Imagine me standing with my arms out, the words hanging off, quivering in the wind: girl, Scot, daughter, sister, friend, INFP, middle child, Christian, bookworm, employee, student, writer, human (and so on). I’m not sure. Is that enough?
What are my hopes for this blog? In between note-taking in lectures, discussing in tutorials, eating dinner, reading long Renaissance poems, serving customers, eavesdropping on buses, writing, and sleeping ...I hope to write a blog full of ‘noticings.’ I’m not a great authority on any particular subject. I like books, I like words, I like people and their quirks. So I’m thinking that this blog can be like one of the jars in my room, filled with little things I’ve thought were interesting throughout the week. Hopefully you (whoever you are) will find them interesting too.
♥ -
In terms of introductions that was a bit waffley. Maybe I’ll just rewind and I start the way I normally would. I’d take a deep breath, remember how to smile, catch your eye, take a step forward, and then:
'hello.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Do say hello and leave your name and blog address if you have one :)

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |