iambic.

Tuesday, November 23

I was looking in my journal from last May and came across this quote. It is from Stephen Fry’s book on poetry (The Ode Less Travelled). I had copied it out while I was studying for my first-year English exam. (...He is writing about poetic structure, metre, rhythm, rhyme etc.):
‘Indeed it is one of the paradoxes of art that structure, form and convention liberate the artist, whereas openness and complete freedom can be seen as a kind of tyranny. Mankind can live free in a society hemmed in by laws, but we have yet to find a historical example of mankind living free in lawless anarchy.’
~ Stephen Fry in The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within (2005).


An interesting idea. And one that applies to so much more than art.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely adore your blog already :)

    Keep writing and I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Do say hello and leave your name and blog address if you have one :)

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |