'I know that I know nothing.'

Saturday, December 11

Today, this caught my attention. I found it in the middle of a chapter about Shakespeare and Renaissance print culture:
‘Much of the recent resistance to editing has been a result of the rhetoric of certainty that many editors adopt. For most of them ... “certainly” is good, “probably” is bad, and “possibly” is worst of all. If everyone accepted that most of what they do is grounded on a measure of probability about which rational agents could reasonably disagree, most arguments in editing (and in the world) would end.’
~ Colin Burrow in ‘Editing the Sonnets’ from A Companion to Shakespeare’s Sonnets
(Interesting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Do say hello and leave your name and blog address if you have one :)

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |